- Visual content
Fuel Removal from Unit 3 Spent Fuel Pool
The spent fuel pool in the upper part of the reactor building stores fuel rod assemblies that were used to generate electric power. At Unit 3, where a hydrogen explosion occurred, rubble removal and other work at the upper part of the reactor building was completed, and installation of a cover for fuel removal was completed in February 2018.
After all preparations were in place, removal of fuel rod assemblies from the spent fuel pool then began in April 2019.
While monitoring dust levels in the surrounding environment, work is proceeding with safety as the top priority.
Unit 3 Status
Fuel rod assemblies that have been transferred to common pool
As of September 4, 2020
- Of which
new fuel rod assemblies:52/52
Spent fuel rod assemblies: 284/514
Note: The common pool stores fuel transported from Unit 4, etc.
- Removal of fuel from the spent fuel pool of Unit 3 was begun in April 15, 2019, on the way to completion during fiscal 2020.
The fuel removal work can be viewed here.
- Information on regular inspections and other matters relating to fuel removal work is given here.
Fuel Removal Procedures
- Fuel rod assemblies stored on fuel racks in the spent fuel pool are transferred in the water one at a time to transport casks, using fuel handling equipment.
- After closing the cask cover and washing, a crane is used to lower the cask to ground level and load into a trailer.
- The cask is transported to a common pool on the site.
- The fuel in the cask is stored in the common pool.
Step 1: Survey of internal state
At Unit 3, the hydrogen explosion blew off part of the roof and other parts of the reactor building, so that rubble is strewn on the operating floor.
Step 2: Removal of rubble
Removal of rubble from the upper part of the reactor building was completed in November 2015, and measures to reduce radiation were completed in December 2016.
Step 3: Installation of fuel handling equipment
Installation of fuel handling equipment and other preparations were completed February 2018.
Step 4: Removal of fuel
Removal of fuel rod assemblies was begun in April 2019. Work is proceeding with safety as the top priority.